This striking relatively new community center began life in the early 1900s as a power plant, then was used as a nightclub in the 1950s, and then, for a stretch, as an experimental desalination plant. In 1983, the city of Del Mar purchased the landmark Powerhouse as well as the surrounding park areas. Its 17-year renovation effort won the city a 2000 Orchid Award for Historic Preservation from the San Diego Architectural Foundation. Residents and visitors alike enjoy its cool, trellis-covered verandas with perfectly framed views of palms and the surf.
1658 Coast Blvd.
Del Mar, CA 92014
Open June-September 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Open October-December 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.