The Craftsman-style Del Mar library was built in 1914 as St.
James Catholic Church, for years the only house of worship between
San Diego and San Clemente. Parishioners included Desi Arnaz
and Jimmy Durante and Bing Crosby and Pat O'Brien served as
ushers. After the church moved to nearby Solana Beach in 1966,
the old building housed a variety of businesses before being
sold to the city of Del Mar in the early 1990s. The city restored
it as a public library and won a 1997 Orchid Award for Historic
Preservation from the San Diego Architectural Foundation.
1309 Camino Del Mar
Del Mar, CA 92014
Open 10 a.m. weekdays
Open 1 p.m. Sundays