Plenty Of "Living Room"
One of the best things about living in the South Orange County city of Laguna Niguel, located halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego, is that one-third of it is designated as open space. Laguna Niguel has 23 neighborhood parks, two community parks, three mini-parks, two small county parks, one dog park, two county regional parks, and the Laguna Niguel Skate & Soccer Park. It is surrounded by the cities of Aliso Viejo, San Juan Capistrano, Dana Point, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, and Mission Viejo.
The city's name comes from the Spanish word "Laguna," which means lagoon, and "Nigueli," which was the name of an Indian Village that was once located near Aliso Creek. When California became Mexican territory in 1821, many rancheros were developed in Southern California, including what was called "Rancho Niguel," primarily used as a sheep ranch. Juan Avila was the first private landowner of the area. He was a resident of San Juan Capistrano and had obtained land through a Mexican land grant in 1842. When California became U.S. territory in 1848, Avila was able to re-establish his title and remained the owner of Rancho Niguel till 1865. In 1895, Rancho Niguel became part of the Moulton Company, which would eventually control more than 19,000 acres of local ranch land.
During the early years, the Laguna Niguel Homeowner Association (which would later be renamed the Laguna Niguel Community Council) served in an advisory capacity to the Orange County Board of Supervisors on land use issues. In 1986, Laguna Niguel residents, seeking to govern themselves, took the first step toward cityhood by forming a Community Services District. In 1989, residents voted for incorporation in a landslide and Laguna Niguel became the 29th city in Orange County.
The median price for a single-family home in 2008 was $722,000. The median price for a single-family luxury home is $2,349,000. Please note that our "House Price Points" are based on the luxury market.